In our last article, we reviewed Mumz insect repellent clothing, and their gardening accessories. We found that the secret behind their apparel is a bug deterrent called Buzz Off. Today, Repellent Review is going to delve more deeply into this repellent.
Buzz Off Insect Shield, LLC began the research for their patent pending insect repellent in 1996. The process that the Buzz Off researchers had to develop was bonding insect repellent to clothing. It took them around seven years of testing and trying different methods before they came up with a solution to repel such insects as mosquitoes, flies, ants, and ticks. Buzz Off also offers effective protection against chiggers and midges. The developer, Richard Lane, had the foresight and patience to see this product developed.
Buzz Off Insect Shield, LLC was founded in 2001. In 2003, Buzz Off obtained registration from the EPA for their insect repellent clothing. Buzz Off bonds Permethrin directly to the fibers of clothing. Permethrin is a synthetic version of the chrysanthemum derived organic insecticide known as pyrethrum.
Mumz is just one line of apparel containing the Buzz Off repellent. Other popular brands have partnered up with them. These include L.L. Bean, Imperial Headwear, Orvis, Bass Pro Shops, Ex Officio, Mad Dog Gear, Tommy Hilfiger, Stearns Inc., and Oxford Golf.
Gray’s Sporting Journal honored Buzz Off with the Gray’s Best Award in 2006. Editors of this popular sporting journal literally review hundreds of products. To receive such an award is not an easy task.
So what are consumers saying about this special repellent?
- ‘I put on my BUZZ OFF hat that buttons under the neck. I had a BUZZ OFF shirt on. The flies never bit me one time while the guide and the other fisherman kept swatting them away. Hurrah for BUZZ OFF products’
- ‘I must say that I was a bit sceptical as to how well these garments would support their claim of being able to repel biting insects … Nonetheless it was worth a try …
… the only time there was little or no insect activity was when there was a downpour, or a stiff breeze. The remainder of the dusk-to-dawn hours were filled with La Plaga, as were most of the jungle and riverside areas throughout the day. And I was the only person not being bitten!.’
- ‘I often fish before I go to work and after I get home. My wife is chemically sensitive to liquid bug repellants and BUZZ OFF is a blessing for her.’
- ‘While I was down there I wore nothing but BUZZ OFF clothing and never had to put a single drop of insect repellant on the entire time.’
- ‘In short, in 20 years of these fishing trips, no matter how much DEET I used, I don’t think I ever came back with fewer than 25 black fly bites. This year with BUZZ OFF clothes … I got only one black fly bite – and not even one mosquito bite’.
Testimonials say it the best. The Buzz Off process of bonding insect repellent to clothing is truly a novel idea. Repellent Review commends the Buzz Off research team for bringing this innovative product to the repellent world. Now you can look fashionable and stay protected from those nasty hovering pests on your next outdoor adventure. Whether it’s socks, shirts, or pants, you’ll find a number of Buzz Off Clothing options to choose from.